Pound Cake Loaf
½ pound butter
1⅔ cups sugar
2 cups cake flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla, or ½ teaspoon mace
1. Preheat the oven to 325° (165°C).
2. Butter and lightly flour 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
3. Cream the butter, slowly add the sugar, and beat until light.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each in well.
5. Stir in the flour, salt, and vanilla or mace and combine well.
6. Spoon into the pan and bake for 1¼ – 1½ hours, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack.
8. Serve very thin slices.
Pound Cake Loaf was made and prepared by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Photography by Shirley-Ann Pearman
Recipe was taken from The Fannie Farmer CookBook, the chapter on “Cakes” Cakes Made With Shortening (Butter Cakes), Recipe on page 623 of the Twelfth Edition.